Saturday 18 July 2015

Putting Things In Perspective



I've recently been thinking a lot about where I want to be this time next year. If you didn't know, I'm currently 2/3rd of the way through a Business degree, so I hope to be graduating this time next year.

When I started my degree I didn't really know what I wanted to do afterwards. I had a vague desire to be self employed eventually, or at least in a management position... I don't particularly enjoy being managed. I just knew I didn't want to spend the better half of my twenties working long hours in entry level jobs. So I applied for a Business and Management Degree around the corner at Cardiff Met and received an unconditional offer. (Fun fact, I did also rather conventionally go to Uni at 18 - I did Music and Maths at Cardiff Uni and it sucked)

A spanner was thrown in the works when I fell pregnant (unknowingly) a month before I started my degree. I found out possibly one week into my course and spent the rest of the year being the awkward pregnant girl. Second year was a lot better - believe it or not studying whilst pregnant is much harder than studying with a baby... your brain just isn't in the right place during pregnancy!

And now there is one year left. It's safe to say my life has changed a lot since I first applied to University. My boyfriend, Glenn, is now self employed and earning enough to support us all and we're forking out the best part of a grand to put Archer in nursery each month. So I have a lot to think about in terms of my future career as a graduate.

As much as I enjoy spending time with Archer, being a stay-at-home Mum just isn't an option for me. Whilst I'll be more than happy to take a years maternity leave when the time rolls around again, I can't imagine it being a permanent option. But when nursery costs will be the majority of my graduate salary, I won't be working for money anymore. I'll be working for my own enjoyment and personal development.

So I have a year to go before I dip my toes back into the world of employment. I'm somewhat excited and hope I can find work which I love, this will be a hectic year of really figuring out what motivates me, getting some experience and working hard for that 2:1 or first class honours!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about going back to work after having a baby!

xxx

Follow

| TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST |

No comments:

Post a Comment