Tuesday 11 August 2015

I'm So Bored Of Marble.



I've been thinking a lot about my blog photography recently, and how I should be styling it. Whether I should have a consistent theme, whether I need to focus so much on editing, whether I need to look like other beauty blogs...

If you are a beauty blogger, or read a lot of beauty blogs (probably true if you've found your way here) then you will be familiar with the standard benchmarks of photography which makes photos "fit" for a beauty blog.

I for one are subject to attempting to 'conform' to the beauty blogger standards of photography, and feel somewhat disheartened when, ultimately, my photos don't look as good.

These photos commonly include;

  • Flatlay photography on white (and I mean WHITE) backgrounds which are almost unachievable for the non photography-savvy. 
  • An abundance of fresh flowers lingering in backgrounds... or a few Diptyque candles... or something from Chanel - for that extra touch of classiness. 
  • Crisp white bed linen, copper accents and hardback copies of various coffee table reads... 

And more recently
  • White marble surfaces. Or more likely 'marble effect' surfaces. We aren't all millionaires... 

Don't get me wrong, all of these provide beautiful backdrops for product photography. I'm a little envious that I can't find backdrops so beautiful for my own photos. I just feel in an internet-sphere which is becoming increasingly filled with bloggers, Instagrammers and amateur photographers these beautiful photos are losing their originality. 

I, too, am partial to a marble background for my Instagrams...

 I like marble. I think marble is pretty. I would like to have marble things in my house. Yes, marble makes a nice photo background. I think I'm focusing on marble too much. Now marble sounds weird in my head. Ramble, ramble, ramble...


The point I'm trying to make in the most incoherent blog post ever written, is


Do we all need to look the same?


And by 'we' I mean the beauty blogging community, and by 'all' I mean our blog photography. How can we have our own style, and be recognisable if we all look the same? 


Photography is a minefield to me. I'll never be happy with the photos I take and find it an eternal struggle to set up shots - if anyone wants to buy me a big white loft in NYC or something for photography purposes that would be cool. I'm trying to strive, from now on, for originality and purposefulness in my photos though. At the end of the day, if I'm writing about a lipstick you probably just want high quality shots of the lipstick and it doesn't matter whether that photo was taken in a 5* hotel or in my bedroom. 


I'd love to know what you think is getting over-used in the beauty blogging world... Let me know below! 

xxx
Follow

| TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST |

No comments:

Post a Comment